I am participating in an observational clinical trial with my new GI doc. I get a bunch of diagnostic testing done for my IBD for free and get a little bit of compensation to boot. Yesterday I had a colonoscopy and CT enterography done. The bowel prep on Sunday was torture... I did ok with the clear liquid diet part and the going-to-the-bathroom part. The two liters of Half-Lytely was another story- it tastes like pure salt water... probably because that's what it actually is.
Ingredients: sodium chloride, sodium bicarbonate, and potassium chloride. You don't have to be a chemist to know that all of those are salts. You add a flavor pack, but whoopdeedoo. Cherry-flavored salt water tastes equally as bad as flavorless salt water.
Christopher had to literally cheer me on as I drank: "SA-RA, SA-RA, SA-RA!" He's so sweet...
So we had to be at the hospital at 6 am for the scope. The CT was scheduled for 11:30, but they got me in two hours early, thank the Lord. I had to drink 1500 mL of barium solution and 500 mL of water for that test. On an empty stomach. However, it didn't taste bad, so I drank it like a champ.
Anyway, I made it through all that. My terminal ileum (where my Crohn's disease is) is inflamed and ulcerated. That basically means I'm not in remission- not really a surprise, except that I'm on high-dose steroids currently. They also found ulcers in the large intestines, but we're waiting to hear back from the biopsy to see what those are from. Could be a bacterial infection (c.diff.) Don't know yet.
After the violating activities were done, Chris and I went to get food. I was starving. I hadn't "eaten" since Saturday night and it was now noon on Monday.
Yes, dad, I ate Chick-Fil-A. I know, I know... could have picked anything, but man, I hadn't had any in a long time. And it was gooooood.
![]()
Then we took Chris to get his eyes checked and get new glasses. It had been about four years, so we thought it was time. Haha.
He is quite the stud in his new frames. :) I don't have a picture of him in them yet- sorry.
We came home and napped. That was the highlight of the day. Other than eating.
So all is well. Chris and I are not sick with the piggy-flu anymore. And I'm on my way to getting the best treatment for my Crohn's. I trust that I'm in good hands with Dr. De Villiers.
I start my new job on Monday- say a little prayer that I don't catch any other random illness before then.
I'm glad you are doing well! Liking the new job? We miss everyone! I'm so happy we all have blogs to stay in touch. Best invention of the past 5 years!
ReplyDeleteEven after all these years, you still make me smile. Only you could blog about a colonoscopy and make me laugh. And only you could be excited about being in a clinical trial for IBD. You still ooze sweetness.
ReplyDeleteI love you and pray for your relief and complete healing, but also I pray for you to continue to stand firm in the love God has for you trusting your life to His bigger plan all the while. You are an inspiration to me and a reminder of how much God truly does love us!
EEK! I've had a colonoscopy and feel your pain!! I'm glad you made it through and that it will lead to better treatment for you. I'll say a prayer about your job on Monday - you will do great! :)
ReplyDelete