PregnancyTicker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

roadkill

I am always traumatized by roadkill. Seeing a dead opossum can make me tear up. Sad, I know, but that is how deep my love of animals goes. So, the other night on my way home, I saw a cat that had been hit by a car and was lying in the middle of the road crying. I immediately started boo-hooing. Fortunately, a van next to me intentionally changed lanes and ran over it to kill it. The incident completely ruined my evening. I could not stop thinking about the suffering of the poor kitty. Of course my mind spiraled into a whirlwind of thought about how unfair this life is and how much injustice and undeserved suffering goes on. I began thinking about abused animals, and even worse, abused children and abused elderly people. I thought about sickness and disease. And I thought about how God did not create this Earth to see all of this happen.

The trouble is that we live in a fallen world. The presence of sin is the root cause of all things “bad.” (Do not misunderstand me and think that I’m saying your sin directly causes personal suffering in your life. It is a broad generalization.) I love my life on this Earth, but the Lord knows that I anxiously await His kingdom. I do not want any more animals to be dead or suffering on the side of the road. I do not want to hear about anymore miscarriages. I do not want to watch the news and see Satan smiling at the evil going on minute by minute. I don’t want to hear about another victim of cancer.

We need to be good to each other. We need to act like Jesus. Truly, act like Jesus. LOVE people. Take care of the least, the last and the lost. Quit being so selfish with your money- it doesn’t belong to you anyway- it is the Lord’s. Quit worrying about yourself so much- when you focus on other people, your problems become smaller and smaller.

And that reminds me. About Christmas (since it’s coming up so quickly)… for Heaven’s sakes, it is about Christ, not about presents for you or anyone else. The thought of millions of people frantically “Christmas shopping” this year makes me sick to my stomach. And I’m talking about the people who stress to the max about what to buy people or worse, stress about what people are going to buy for THEM. Oh my goodness, this world is so messed up. Why do we do this enormous money-exchange every year? I’ll buy this for you and you buy this for me? If you don’t get me what I want, then I’m going to hold a grudge and be bitter the rest of my life. You know it happens and it’s disgusting. There are people who don’t even own a Bible. What we need to be doing at Christmas is just spending quality time with our families, who we love, and then spend our money on the people who actually need things like food, clothing and/or shelter. (Note: contrary to popular belief, an Ipod is NOT a need) If you want some new clothes that bad, save up some cash and shop after Christmas when everything is like 50% off.

Maybe I should stop looking at roadkill.

p.s. I do not want (and certainly do not need) anything for Christmas. My house is overflowing in excess as it is.

4 comments:

  1. I love you, Dear Sara, I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!!!! I couldn't have said it better myself! I LOVE your honesty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't have said it better myself. It's unbelieveable how much we (society) can want when we are surrounded by such ABUNDANCE! Abundance has been my new fave word lately during my devotional time...our lives are filled with so much abundance! And no, I don't know how anyone can NEED an Ipod...I can't even figure out how to use the things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preach it sister! Very well said. I just wish this was the message that was broadcast everywhere at this time of the year instead of all these sales.

    ReplyDelete