I am incredibly behind on my blogging. There have been so many things I needed or wanted to write about in the last couple of weeks, but due to time constraints, lack of motivation, busy-ness, or pure laziness, I have not written anything. Sorry. So here goes a monster-post! :)
Deadly Car Crash- 1/19/2010, 11:30 pm
About two and half weeks ago, Christopher was witness to a horrible car crash in which a lady sadly was killed. A drunk guy in his young 20s was driving down the wrong side of the highway, allegedly without his headlights on. He side-swiped one car, then crashed into the lady driving right in front of Chris head-on. Chris was riding with our friend, Dusty, who safely avoided being slammed into by the drunk guy’s spinning car. Chris called 911 and was obviously the first responder on the scene.
Words cannot express my gratitude for the Lord sparing Christopher and Dusty’s lives that night. My prayers and sympathies are with the lady’s family who passed away. My prayers are also with the young man who has repeatedly made very poor decisions and now has murdered a woman. I hope he comes to know the Lord one day.
New Bible Study!
Last fall I joined a small group and we did the book study called “Me, Myself, and Lies” by Jennifer Rothschild. It was a really good book on cleaning out your thought-closet and getting rid of the trash that piles up in there. I developed new friendships with the women in the group while growing in my relationship with the Lord. After a short hiatus during the holidays, our group started back up again last Thursday night! I was so excited- I really missed the fellowship of Christian women! Anyway, we are doing the 10-week Beth Moore study “Breaking Free.” I am anxious to see how the Lord will change me through this study. I believe all of us have some type of stronghold in our lives that prevents us from the full blessing of living in Christ.
Prednisone and Diet Update
I’m on 20mg daily of prednisone at the moment (started at 60mg on Dec 19). I will be on this dose at least until February 19, which is when I go see Dr. B again. Much to my dismay, I am developing chipmunk face again. Blast it. And I want to eat all the time. And I get hot flashes.
The diet is going ok, but not super. Because I’m on the steroids, I have been allowing myself to “cheat” on more things. I still don’t eat fried food or drink soda, but I’ve had some white breads and pasta and desserts with all kinds of bad ingredients. There is no reason to cheat, but I concoct reasons in my head. I don’t know whether I just have a short pity-party moment and grab that little gold Hershey’s Nugget, or if the food cravings and appetite increase from being on prednisone make me want to eat “bad” food… I don’t know. Either way, I’m gaining weight again and I attribute that to my diet. Steroids cause weight gain, but I was doing well with the weight in November and December when I was adhering to the super-healthy diet.
Fortunately, I cannot continue this eating madness once I get down to about 10mg of prednisone and certainly not once I’m off completely.
My lungs may continue to cause me problems and I may have to end up on Imuran or some other immunosuppressant after all. But I believe the Lord has called me to eat properly out of respect for my GI system and I know He blessed my decision. I have been symptom-free since November 1 when I started my diet. I need to honor the temple God gave me and get back on track. I pray that the anti-inflammatory diet will keep my lungs from flaring as well.
Job Update
I am really enjoying my job at the Neurology Center. I love working with the Alzheimer’s patients and their families. I am getting more skilled with phlebotomy and doing EKGs. I am learning a lot about Alzheimer’s, which has been of great value since my grandmother was diagnosed with the disease recently.
Hub Update
Many of you know that Christopher resigned from his Emergency Medicine residency at the end of October. He quickly figured out that he had chosen the wrong specialty… and that decision primarily came from going through the hospital experience with me this summer. He wants to be in a field with continuous patient care. So after a lot of prayer and contemplation, he chose to pursue Internal Medicine. In January, he interviewed at UK and Wake Forest. We plan to stay here at UK... and Match Day is March 18th, so we'll find out for sure on that day. :)
AVON
Try it. You'll really like their products. :) www.youravon.com/swaynick
New lipstick coming out on Monday 2/8: Ultra Color Rich Mega Impact!
AVON
Try it. You'll really like their products. :) www.youravon.com/swaynick
New lipstick coming out on Monday 2/8: Ultra Color Rich Mega Impact!

No comments:
Post a Comment