I am an intelligent, capable woman, yet I qualify for almost no 'decent' jobs that are currently available. I have no specialties and no advanced degrees. I could apply to be a Patient Transporter at the hospital, but I probably wouldn't get that job because I'm too small and arthritic. Some 180-pound charming male applicant would beat me out for sure. Or I could apply to be a Call Center Coordinator and be extremely perky and friendly all day despite how much pain I'm in that day or regardless of how much someone ticked me off an hour ago. Or I could apply to be a Staff Support Associate at the hospital, whatever that is (requires no education) and make $11/hour... buuuuut they would probably look at my resume and drop me like I'm hot because I am extremely overqualified. EEEEEEKK.
Medtronic was a rare jewel. I got a job there by the grace of God. I acquired clinical research experience and then somehow landed an Associate Scientist job- my chemistry degree actually helped me there. But there are no companies in Lexington that are anything like Medtronic and definitely no positions that are comparable. Everything I've seen requires a Master's degree. dadgum.
Anyway, my one hope was a clinical research job here. Well, I got rejected for two of those without even being interviewed. Turds. lol! I applied for another one on April 28 and I STILL don't know if I got the job. I've had two interviews and I keep getting told "another couple of weeks and we'll have our decision." Well, pumpkins, it's been like over 5 weeks now since my first interview. Bah humbug. I'm HOPING they will get back with the candidates early next week. I mean, just tell me yay or nay please so that I may move on with my life. And my job hunt.
Eight years ago, my mom tried to ask me what I would do with a bachelor's in Chemistry, but I didn't listen. In my defense, I started the chem program with the intention of going on to pharmacy school, but being a pharmacy tech squelched that plan quick. I should have gotten a BSN while I was young and still on my parent's insurance and payroll. Had I done that, I wouldn't be writing this ridiculous post about not having a job. There are about 659 nursing jobs here in Lexington, give or take a few. Christopher thinks I would hate being a nurse. I dunno- it depends on what type of nursing it is. I digress.
Anyway, looking for a job really stinks. I pity people who have absolutely no credentials whatsoever. But hey, maybe they could get that Patient Transporter job.
Or perhaps I should just be a stay-at-home wife and volunteer for a living. God's kingdom-work is so much more valuable...

Sometimes I secretly wish I didn't have a job... don't tell. I am so so so tired and I REALLY want my life back! I work more hours than the hub!
ReplyDeleteIt is really hard not having a job but I can vouch that being a stay-at-home wife has it's perks! Volunteer and lots of fun hobbies!!! :) I am sorry pookie! It's hard huh? Not have a masters and have trouble with the job search or be absolutely miserable for 2 years to get your masters.... grrr. Love you. Good luck!
ReplyDeleteThinking of you and hoping you are well very soon. Lots of prayers going out.
ReplyDelete-Louise