PregnancyTicker

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, August 12, 2010

markey cancer center

I have accepted a position as a Clinical Research Associate at the Markey Cancer Center at UK.  I’ll be working with protocols involving Solid Tumor research.  I start August 30!

  

I was not looking to change jobs.  I actually really love my job at the Neurology clinic and I love my Alzheimer's patients and their families.  It has been really hard saying bye to them one at a time.  But in May, a former co-worker of Christopher’s moved over to MCC and let him know that an opening was coming for a CRA and she thought I should apply.  That got the ball rolling and two months later I was offered the job. 
 
It was a really tough, prayerful decision.  I eventually resolved that if God wanted me to make the move, I would be offered the position and the details would work themselves out.  The benefits are hard to resist.  UK-HMO insurance is $26 per month for employee only.  Yeah, I did say $26.  Since all my docs are at UK anyway, this is great and mucho-convenient. The main motivator for changing jobs was to be on the same campus as hubs.  When he's working long hours and it feels like days since I've seen him, we might actually get to grab a bite to eat together... or maybe a Starbucks.  :)
 
My decision-struggle came because my co-worker (and the only other study coordinator at our office) is out on maternity leave until the middle of September.  This leaves the doc by himself starting on the 30th until she gets back.  He is brilliant and will do just fine, but I feel so bad leaving him without a coordinator!  I have offered to continue working PRN in the evenings to help him with charts and paperwork, etc. but I haven’t heard back from administration on that one.  Doubtful they’ll let me do that, but I had to offer.
 
I have learned an immense amount about Alzheimer’s disease, which has proven most useful in the diagnosis of my grandmother.  I have been able to share valuable information with Papaw and my parents to aid in her care.  I know this job was meant to be for the time I was here- I am so grateful. 
 
With that said, I am really excited about this opportunity!  I have wanted to do cancer research for quite some time and now I finally have the chance.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you decision for the new job. This is another door opening for something special to come. I hope it will be revealed to you why this is the right decision.

    ReplyDelete